Biggest Losers

It's good to review your holdings from time to time to see how you're doing.  Re-evaluate your thesis of investment and either hold, re-up, or sell.  If you're not doing better than an S&P 500 ETF you should probably just go with that from now on.


I've got a 19% error rate if you just look at positive vs negative returns, and these are those holdings. All the dividend stocks I've held for some years so the actual return is near zero.  In all cases, the important part is that they didn't outperform the S&P 500, so I've listed the S&P's return over the same time and the difference in value (alpha).  Values are rounded.  You can imagine that I'm -20 alpha on AI if you wish to include all the dividends over the past 4 years, but running the dividends would be non-trivial even for these 4 and I've got my winners to do later... and that's a lot of numbers for a run down.


Ticker Acquired  Return S&P vs S&P (Alpha) Thesis
AI 9/2014 -48% 36% -84% I thought there would be more, valuable, securitized mortgages as housing recovered. The dividend makes this nearly a push.
IMBBY   4/2013 -45% 73.5% -119% Growing tobacco use abroad, up 85% at one point, failed to re-analyze and sell. Dividend mitigates losses.
NBBTF 8/2010 -31% 147% -177% An OTC that pays out most of its profit in dividends.  The Dividend makes this a marginal winner.
DLTNX 2/2015 -6% 30% -35% I thought a pro could manage bonds better than I could, I was wrong.


That's it.